Sunday, December 5, 2010

no day but today...

On Friday night, the show I've been rehearsing for the past few months opened. My Saturday was spent performing a matinee and an evening show. We had a break in between, so I went to a new friend's home to watch RENT with her and another friend. 


Every time I watch the recording of the final night on broadway, I feel as though I am experiencing the story for the first time and I am reminded of the prolific messages within.


Maybe it's the love that Collins and Angel have for each other-  a constant reminder of how we should be loving every day. "when you're worn out and tired, when your heart has expired, with a thousand sweet kisses, i'll cover you"


Maybe it's Roger learning that there is "no day but today" for life and love, and living "there's only us, there's only this, forget regret or life is yours to miss"


Maybe it's Maureen standing up for something she believes in so passionately that she can convince an entire audience to moo with her. 


Maybe it's the fact that these people are living the best way they know how and making every day passionately and profoundly important. 


"to the stage! to Uta! to Buddha! Pablo Neruda too... actual reality, act up, fight AIDS! VIVA LA VIE BOHEME!"


Jonathan Larson's magnum opus changed a lot of people's lives, myself included. His life was tragically cut short by an aortic aneurism just before RENT was to open at the New York Theatre Workshop. I often think about what important messages might have come from him had he lived, but I will be forever grateful to him for the important role his work his played in my life. Here's to you, Mr. Larson- you changed the world and never got to see what wonders you created. Rest peacefully.


Jonathan Larson
1960-1996



No comments:

Post a Comment