Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day Eleven: 3 reasons to get out of bed tomorrow.

One: My husband. It is so wonderful to get to be around someone so great all the time. It's pretty rad that he wants to be around me all the time too.

Two: Specifically tomorrow, because my dad is coming over for dinner and that is one of my favorite things on the planet. We just hang out and watch TV and chat. It's the best.

Three: Tomorrow presents a new opportunity to do something great for the world. For a few years now, I have felt like my life would not be complete without having done something to leave my mark on the world. I've always felt like I have a greater purpose in life than clocking in and out and the occasional good deed. I haven't yet figured out what this mark will be, but here's hoping it means something to somebody.

I was at the grocery store today and there was a woman in front of me who reminded me so much of my grandma Ruth. Her mannerisms and a lot of her appearance was a lot like her. When she was finished paying, the cashier said "Thank you Mrs. Davis", which is also my grandma's name. I looked over at the lady and said "I just wanted to tell you that you share a name with my grandma, and share so many characteristics with her. My grandma is one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and out, and I just wanted you to know how much you remind me of her."  She looked at me and replied, " That is the nicest thing someone has said to me since my husband passed away. Thank you so much- you just made my whole month." 

My one little compliment had such a huge impact on her, and it caused me no trouble at all. Quite the opposite- I felt so good to have done something that had such an incredible effect on a stranger, and someone so deserving of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment